Monday, February 20, 2012

A Mother's council

When I was 19 my Mother made me a hand carved wooden mirror. She researched designs, bought and built the frame, learned how to use a wood burner and burned the patterns into the wood. She played with color combinations and used a homemade color palate to paint the designs. During this entire process she, my father, and my siblings kept the project a secret from me. That is a miracle!

At the time, I was living in California working as an intern. I was lonely. When this mirror arrived as my Christmas gift I was ecstatic!  You see, there is an island off the coast of California near where I was living that sold beautiful wooden art pieces. As a child I had walked by this shop and loved to see the new artwork. As a lonely 19 year old I would often take walks around the island to pass time. I always enjoyed studying the new art pieces. The pieces from the store were too expensive for my budget.   
My Mother was so thoughtful to create this one of a kind piece for me.I have always cherished this mirror. I cherish it for the Mother's love which is in it more than I ever would have enjoyed one of the overpriced mirrors from the store.


I write about this mirror today because I realize I haven't given a tribute to Mother recently. She is an incredible example to me of how to live life to the fullest. Throughout the years the phrases written on this frame have become priceless advice to me. I thought you may be interested in learning what drives me (in addition to the gospel of Jesus Christ of course ;) ). 






Be Creative
Accept Change
Be a Light
Set Goals
Cherish Family
Dream
Grow
Give
Eat Healthy

Those are the values written on the mirror. Here are some close ups of my Mother's handy work. The detail is beautiful- especially considering it was her first time attempting a project of this kind. 




         

1 comment:

  1. I knew that your Mom was a special lady but now I have a greater appreciation for her! That is such a beautiful story and the mirror is awesome!! Thanks for sharing Danielle. How can you not love Donna Murray :-)

    ReplyDelete