In El Paso, Texas we performed at a theater which resembles a sombrero. I was able to stay with the family of one of the students I taught last semester; the Washburn family. The theater was very nice. It was just across the border from Juarez, Mexico! We could see more of Mexico from the highway than Texas. When we left the theater around 10:30pm, I was surprised to see how empty the streets were. Mrs. Washburn told us that El Paso has no night life because most of the people that work there are Mexican and return to Mexico in the evening instead of spending time in Texas.
 |
| Other than being round, I don't really see the sombrero |


Our time in Midland and Odessa, Texas was short. We performed at the most state of the art facility I have ever been in. Apparently it cost 80 million dollars to build and is only a few years old. It was a treat to dance there (with exception of the birds who pooped in our changing area). The most interesting part of the story is that it was in the middle of no where. We were driving on the highway for hours and saw nothing but oil fields and cows. Then, like the sun coming up over the horizon, this theater appeared. I learned that there are many wealthy land owners in this area of Texas. Most everyone there is involved in the oil industry. I believe they all live pretty far apart from one another and needed a good source of entertainment. So they built this facility to attract great performing groups. A few weeks before we were there the "River dance" Irish dance show was there. Before that was the national tour of "Wicked". It was really fun to know we were dancing in the same venue as those great casts.
| | | | | | | | | |
|
No comments:
Post a Comment