It has been a few weeks since my last post. Time has flown by as projects, finals, a new semester, midterms, dates, callings, cleaning, dancing, intramurals teams, and other adventures have come and gone. I feel time has been passing quickly ever since I got home in December. There has been one activity after another. I lost touch with politics when I left on my mission and I haven't had time to reassociate myself with that realm until this past week.
I try to read something once a day for a few minutes during my lunch break at work. I have learned so much in the past few days! It feels great to be informed and start forming my own feelings about the different situations.
Here are some of the funniest things I've come across since Monday. Now, please take into account that I may have a different sense of humor than you do...so laugh anyway if you don't see it my way. ;)
Mitt Romney has not officially announced his candidacy for the 2012 presidential election. He HAS raised several million dollars from private donors and last week he held a 'call-a-thon' (I cannot remember the correct term. Maybe that's right?). In one day, he raised $10.25 million dollars during this call-a-thon. I find that amusing! In one day, by phone calls alone he raised $10.25 million dollars toward his unannounced campaign. Good for him. I'm sure he'll be able to raise his desired $40mil with success like that. Did you know he is not planning to use any of his private funds in his upcoming unannounced campaign?
A document has been leaked to the world-0kay, I didn't actually catch the detail of whom it was discovered by- sharing evidence that Denmark will seek possession of the arctic circle no later than 2014. Denmark recognizes the wonderful fishing grounds and drilling opportunities for gas and oil on the arctic circle. What is interesting is that 4 other countries have expressed desire to lay claim there too. It is no secret that the arctic circle could contain up to 25% of the world's uncovered oil & gas. So, the part I find funny is that Denmark actually thought they could pass a bill through the United Nations gaining the majority of the arctic mass. Really Denmark, really? My personal feelings are that it will either a) continue to be unclaimed, b) the UN will claim it, harvest the resources, and distribute them on a global scale(not sure how that would work though), or c)the UN will devise a division of the property equally based on the financial need of the countries placing claim or another divisional factor. I'm glad there aren't indigenous people that will be harmed. Remember the time we tore up Africa?
Third, and lastly for today, Donald Trump announced he will NOT be running for president in the 2012 election. I personally thought it was a silly moment when he announced he wanted to run for the republican nomination. Granted there are people who would have voted for him and he probably would have said some lovely enticing things during his campaign. But it did not surprise me one bit that he changed his mind. I find that whole situation funny. The whole thing.
Go you for getting all up to date with world events! I need to be better about that :(
ReplyDelete