Monday, April 4, 2011

General Conference

By golly I love hearing the prophet's voice. I love listening to men called by God to preach His Holy word. I love knowing that they are following the promptings of the Holy Spirit as they address us. Therefore allowing me to live in perfect confidence that what I hear over the pulpit is intended for the people of the world at this time, from our Heavenly Father. For those of you who may be unfamiliar, twice a year the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints holds a general conference. This conference is broadcast throughout the world in over 90 languages. The prophet of God on the Earth today, who also serves as the president of the church, and the other general authorities & officers of the church speak during the conference. They follow scriptural & spiritual council to know what to say; using the ancient scriptures to address modern dilemmas. I loved this April's conference! It took place just this past Saturday and Sunday. One of the many talks I enjoyed was given by Quentin L. Cook, a member of the quorum of the twelve apostles (http://mormon.org/faq/twelve-apostles/). He spoke about the divine nature of women. My reasons for enjoying this talk are many but I'll expound upon just one for now. Friday afternoon, before hearing this talk, two of my close friends and I were discussing the role of women. We pondered why the world seems to place a negative label upon women who choose to make their primary purpose raising and nurturing their children, rather than pursue a "9-5 career". We were all in agreement that the world is a bit hypocritical in this regard. Media is the most influential medium of our time. Movies and music influence our thoughts and actions. Isn't it interesting that in most films that depict a struggling child or someone coming from a poor home life, their happy ending involves a nurturing and safe environment? It seems to me that the world yearns for stability amongst chaos. Unfortunately, somehow the connection is not fully being made that in order to receive the happy ending created in films we need to live the better life we give the characters. The answer to so many issues and social concerns may be found in parents allowing their calling as fathers and mothers to be their most important calling upon this Earth. Referring back to Elder Cook's talk: He mentions that we should not judge those women who do choose to work outside the home. I am in complete agreement. Does being a nurturing parent mean you have to give up every other pursuit you've had? ---Now, I am not a parent yet, so I do not speak from experience but observance.--- I say, no. The Lord would not want you to stop developing your talents. I do believe He wants us to prayerfully prioritize our goals. Ironically though, it is often as we sacrifice to serve others that we grow the most ourselves; without specifically focusing on our personal goals, we reach them. In closing, it was very reassuring to hear Elder Cook confirm what my friends and I observed. The world wants and needs good parents. If you are not a parent yet, like myself, it is our opportunity to prepare for marriage & parenting and to set an example for those in our community when that time in life does come. I am grateful to recognize now the blessings of placing my family in the highest priority spot in my life. Here is the link to Elder Cook's talk. http://lds.org/general-conference/watch/2011/04?lang=eng&vid=880291572001&cid=10 These are my super cute parents a few years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment