
Today is Tuesday, the day after Monday. Yesterday was Martin Luther King Jr. day. Or at least the day we observe in reverence of Mr. King. I was able to spend the day with my sister and cousins in No. Utah. Lots of fun was had.
When I was in fifth grade my teacher dedicated the month of February as black history month. For three and one half weeks we studied major accomplishments that took place in the United States thanks to African American contributors. We learned about science, math, language, and politics. One of the many crafts we made was a tablecloth made using the Kwanzaa colors of black, red, and green. It was a pretty cool pattern.
Unfortunately I couldn't find the tablecloth I made, but the above picture kind-of resembles the pattern. My fifth grade attempt was much more simple. I thought the following picture was awesome too. Enjoy! A little fact about Kwanzaa. When taking a poll of "What does Kwanzaa celebrate?" most BYU student thought it was a celebration of Christianity in Africa. This is incorrect. Kwanzaa is a celebration of the first harvest.
I know that MLK Jr. day is not a celebration of Kwanzaa, so I apologize if you read this with false hopes of a commemorative journal entry honoring Mr. King. He was great man that brought about much change. I have felt the direct influence of his actions. I am grateful for his perseverance. He is a man that I will respect and honor for his contributions to this society.

No comments:
Post a Comment